Sunday, February 20, 2011

the 8th deadly sin of the forgotten song writer.

I love music. But where would music be if not for the bands, composers, and arrangers who give us the songs, opuses, and ballads that we live to hear? So what if someone told you that the national anthem was written by the White Stripes, or that happy birthday was by the Rolling Stones. This is a sin, if ever their was one. To not give credit to those who write the song is just as bad as murder, in my opinion.

A couple of days ago, I was talking to one of my friends about music. We were talking about the song "across the universe", when she says "this band so-and-so are so good, right?" so-and-so being the name of a band that I cannot remember. I responded by asking who they were. "the people who wrote across the universe, of course!"

I was dumbstruck. In horrific awe. In pain, even. How could anyone mistake the Beatles, THE BEATLES, for gods sake. The band was some new cover band that took the Beatles song and used it to corrupt the minds of our nations youth, making them forget of the glory found in the original composers! I nearly took a knife and stabbed her on the spot! My god, what has the world come to these days?

Another example that is less important in the minds of most people is this: A little while back, I was playing my ukulele on the street, playing the song "livin' in the sunlight, lovin' in the moonlight". Someone walked by, someone I didn't know, and they stopped to listen. when I was done with the song, they said "hey, isn't that the song by Tiny Tim in the first Spongebob episode?" I was about to bash the uke over her head, but I kept calm. This is why I was angry:

Tiny Tim version:


Spongebob version, (skip 6 min and 10 sec in):


and the original from 1930:



I hope you understand.
-Guy Noël

And a little enigma that has been going through my mind that you will never understand and I will never explain: if the right side of 1°=10 is olive, which is a mix of 2°=8 (purple) and 4°=7 (green), and 2°=8 is made up of 7°=4 (blue) and 6°=5 (red), and 4°=7 is made up of 5°=6 (yellow) and 7°=4 once again, and all of them include 10°=1 (white), 9°=2 (gray), and 8°=3 (black), than the flashing color of the right side of 1°=10 would be the only unnamed one, 3°=9 (orange). But according to this, the right side of 1°=10 would have the flashing color orange, but also according to this, the right side of 1°=10 (olive) would be 50% blue, 25% red and 25% yellow. there is an equal balance of red and yellow which make orange, so therefore the flashing color cannot be orange. This is a paradox! let me attempt to add a diagram:
note: the diagram i just spent twenty minutes of my vacation making a diagram that didn't upload (dammit!) well, I'll try again later!

Later:
. this is an image that sorta explains it. i got it from another blog, but don't go on that blog. okay?
nvm i got it:

1 comment:

  1. Nice ben. you've made me post this comment 4 times.
    nice post, happy birthday, blablala, cichenitza.

    ReplyDelete